Crispy BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Makes 5 Servings| Prep Time: 15 Min | Total Time: 1 hour Marinating
- 1/4 cup Spicy Chocolate BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2.6 pounds (approx. 10 pieces) chicken drumsticks
- 3/4 cup almond flour or 1 cup ground pork rinds
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- Mix the Spicy Chocolate BBQ sauce with the olive oil. Set the chicken drumsticks into a large dish and pour the sauce-and-oil mixture over the top. Let drumsticks marinate in the fridge for at least an hour or as long as overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350’ F. Meanwhile, prepare the breading by mixing together the almond flour, flax meal, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and black pepper.
- Dredge each drumstick in the breading and then set on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The BBQ sauce acts as “glue” that the breading sticks to. Do not place all the chicken in the breading at once or it will clump up. Spray or drizzle the breaded drumsticks with melted ghee and then bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and serve immediately or refrigerate and reheat later, if needed. If the breading gets soggy, simply bake the chicken in the oven for another 5 minutes to crisp up before serving
- You can use all sorts of ingredients to make low-carb “breading.” Mix your favorite spices and dried herbs with almond flour, coconut flour, flax meal, ground pork rinds, or grated Parmesan cheese.
- You can substitute 2 tsp of gluten-free baking powder for the baking soda and cream of tartar
Nutrition Facts per serving: 2 drumsticks
- Total carbs: 7.8 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Net Carbs: 3.5 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Fat: 33.3 g
Recipe from the “KetoDiet Cookbook” authored by Martina Slajerova