Fluffy, Grain-Free, Sunflower Bread
From Martina Slajerova’s KetoDiet Cookbook
This recipe makes about 12 slices per loaf. Each slice has about 1.6 net carbs.
Makes 1 loaf | Prep Time: 15 Min | Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Min
- 4 large whole eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml/1 fl oz) toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 g/1.1 fl oz) ghee or butter
- 1/2 cup (120 ml/4 fl oz) water, at room temp
- 1/4 cup (40 g/1.4 oz) flax meal
- 2/3 cup (80 g/2.8 oz) psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp (7 g/0.2 oz) caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 cup (70 g/2.5 oz) sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 ‘ F
- Line a large loaf pan (7” x 4.5”) with parchment paper or use a silicone loaf pan.
- Working with the wet ingredients first, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Set the egg whites aside in a bowl.
- Mix the egg yolks with the toasted sesame oil and melted ghee or butter. Pour the water into the egg yolks mixture and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flax meal, psyllium husk powder, baking soda, caraway seeds, and salt. (Do not use whole psyllium husks; if you can’t find psyllium husk powder, process the husks in a blender or coffee grinder until finely ground.)
- Beat the egg whites until they create soft peaks. Add the cream of tarter while beating, as this helps the egg whites stay fluffy.
- Using an electric mixer, add the egg yolk mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and process well. Slowly add the whisked egg whites - you don’t need to be too gentle, but try not to deflate them completely.
- Fold the sunflower seeds into the batter. Fill the loaf pan with the batter and transfer to the oven. Bake for about 60 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a long wooden skewer into the bread. If there are no crumbs on it, and it comes out clean, the bread is done.
- If you’re using a regular loaf pan with parchment paper, remove the loaf from the pan by plling on the parchment paper. this will help prevent excess moisture from accumulating on the outside of the loaf. Let the loaf cool on a tray for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Store at room temperature covered with a kitchen towel for up to three days or place in a zip-top bag and freeze for longer.
- Make sure you follow the recipe step by step. Even a small change can result in a lumpy texture or a batter that’s too moist. If you don’t add the water into the egg yolks and do so seperately after you mix in the egg yolks, the texture will become lumpy and rubbery.
- If your bread turns out to be a vibrant green color, don’t panic! It’s perfectly safe. Sunflower seeds contain chlorogenic acid, an antioxidant that gives the seeds the ability to turn green when mixed with alkaline baking ingredients like baking soda
- Total carbs: 8 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Net Carbs: 1.6 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Fat: 10.7 g
Recipe from Martina Slajerova’s KetoDiet Cookbook