- 1 Large Head of Organic Cabbage (or two smaller heads)
- 3 Tbs Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs Caraway Seeds
- 3 Large, Clean Mason Jars With Lids
- Filtered Water (And /Or left over juice from last batch)
- Take the organic cabbage and remove several outer leaves to set aside for later.
- Take the remaining cabbage and cut it into quarter inch slices. Place them in a very large bowl.
- Add 3 Tbs of sea salt and 1 Tbs of caraway seeds (if desired).
- Mix by hand and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Get 3 large, clean mason jars, and lids.
- Press and squeeze the large bowl of cabbage to release the juices. Divide equally and pack tightly in the mason jars.
- Add enough filtered water (please, no tap water!) to cover the cabbage 1"-2", leaving an inch of air for expansion.
- Take the outer leaves, fold and place on top of the cabbage and press to submerge under water.
- Put on the lids, and place in a dark, cool location. Place a towel underneath to catch any over spills from expanding water.
- Leave for 1-2 weeks, depending on how crunchy you want the sauerkraut. Less time will result in a crunchier sauerkraut.
- Place in refrigerator (it can store for several months) and begin to enjoy!
Always use a clean fork to remove portions, avoiding contamination.
Remember, NO double dipping!